Thursday, August 4, 2011

When Success Doesn't Taste So Sweet

I have already established that a large part of successful dieting is planning.  Limiting the amount of self-discipline needed in a food crunch is crucial when you don't have any food-related control.

I was planning an afternoon trip with my kids yesterday, and I knew pizza at the shop was on the menu after our hike.  When I am very hungry, piping hot pizza is irresistible.  To be honest, even when I'm only slightly hungry... At the same time, I don't even enjoy the calorie splurge.  There are times when I treat myself to a great cut of beef, prepared by a master chef in a high end restaurant.  I arrange myself ahead of time to make sure I save enough calories, and I savor each tender morsel.  I feel great afterwards, knowing I can enjoy food like other people as long as I do it responsibly.

I don't do this for pizza.  It's not worth it, I don't want to waste my food allotment for a cheesy slice that doesn't leave me with long term satisfaction.  This is a case of needing to abstain.

I put my plan into action.  Before we left I washed, chopped and peeled.  I left the house loaded with sliced apples, carrot and celery sticks, cucumbers and water.  I was sure I would sail through the pizza problem unchallenged.  I was wrong.

I can proudly say that I only ate one bite of my baby's crust (which I dutifully logged in my food diary).  But I was wrong to think it would be easy if I came prepared.

The pizza was served, and I didn't want to eat any more produce.  I felt like a rabbit, crunching on my unappetizing veggies while my kids chowed down on greasy, cheesy goodness.

So it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but without the planning and executing of the bunny munchies, I wouldn't have had a chance.

It will always be hard, and I need to recognize that.  But hopefully, that knowledge will make it just a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment