Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Carb Or Not To Carb.

I have done some crazy things in my dieting past (can anyone say Lemonade Diet?), but cutting out carbs was never one of them. 

I know many people who have declared the starchy stuff their sworn enemies for life.  They claim if you stay away from carbs you can eat as much protein as you want.  Now this may be true, I wouldn't know.

I like a good slice of bread, pasta, rice, cous cous, potatos, fruit... need I go on?  A diet that cuts out an entire food group doesn't work for me.  I do however find great benefit in what I call "selective carb cutting".

About a half hour before my kids begin arriving home (the three year old finishes at one), I prepare a nice sit down lunch for myself.  This is the meal where I try to cut out carbs on most days.

Lunch usually consists of a large salad, with either salmon, tuna salad, or most often - grilled chicken.

When I don't have a lot of time I buy the ready-made grilled chicken, cut up some lettuce, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.  I mix a bit of honey and dijon mustard together, and drizzle on less than a tablespoon.  It's delicious, filling, and lets me enjoy a nice side of carbs later on with my dinner.

The weeks where I manage to cut carbs at lunchtime usually yields greater weight loss, as well as forcing me to pack more veggies into my day.

Could I cut carbs out of my life?  Never, but here is a small way for me to get the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment