Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It Isn't Easy.

When my eldest was about two years old, I began reading "How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.  Its a great book, and a staple in the home of anyone attempting to raise children.

I remember being surprised at a point they made in the book.  They bring an example of a small child who is trying to accomplish something.  For example making his bed.  I don't know about you, but many of us, myself included, would try to encourage him by saying something like "You can do it!  Its not that hard...".  I quickly learned that this is the wrong thing to say.

Making the bed is hard for a child.  If you tell them it should be easy, then it discourages them completely.  Even if they do persevere and accomplish what they set out to do, they don't feel like it was worth all the effort since they only managed to do what you think is "easy".  It devalues all their hard work.

I don't know why I never thought of it, but it makes so much sense.  If I walked into my kitchen after hosting thirty people for a dinner party, I would feel overwhelmed by the mess.  Hearing my husband say something like "Its not that bad, you can clean this up easily" would not feel good.  I would probably dump the job on him and tell him I was going to sleep.

I find most of us do this with weight loss.  We oversimplify the challenge and in doing so, set ourselves up for failure.

How many times have we said, "That's it, tomorrow I'm going on a diet!" as though its something we can do without any preparation?  I wouldn't show up to climb a mountain without food and water, a first aid kit, and dressed in high heels and a pencil skirt.

We tend to break the shedding of pounds into two simple tasks.  "I'll diet and workout".  Each of those tasks are truly categories with many tasks involved.

To diet one must always have the right foods available at all times.  This might include having your fruits and vegetables washed and chopped in advance, on top of always having your groceries in the house and handy.  Writing down everything we eat and calculating the calories/points/credits...  Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day.  Planning ahead, measuring and weighing... the list goes on.  Working out also entails planning a program that works for your body, schedule and bank account.

When we are realistic and say - "I am about to undertake a serious challenge, let me sit down and work out the logistics." we acknowledge the enormity of the challenge.  This helps us prepare ourselves, giving us a much higher chance at success.  It keeps us motivated, knowing big projects can take awhile, but that success is that much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment