Sunday, August 7, 2011

Measured Steps

I have been eating the same breakfast every day for the last two weeks.  Bran flakes with no sugar added, and one container of 1.5% lightly sweetened yogurt.  Today I jazzed it up with 1/4 cup of blueberries.

I do that a lot with my food - get into a routine.  I tend to have the same breakfast every day, a choice of 2-3 options for lunch, and then dinner is my one original meal.

The breakfast before my current one was three slices of low calorie bread, toasted, with cream cheese and tomatoes.  Peanut butter was the cream cheese's predecessor.  That one I ate for months, while the cream cheese only lasted a few weeks.

This simplifies my life and keeps me from feeling as though my life revolves around food and dieting.

When I first started losing weight, I measured here and there to give myself an idea of what my portions should look like.  Then I got lazy, and hey - I was losing weight anyway, so why bother?

I have begun measuring again, now that I'm on the last fifteen pounds, and the weight is not coming off as easily.  This time I am weighing and measuring everything.  My bran flakes get weighed each morning, and instead of using a serving spoon to ladle out my starches, I use a measuring cup.  It serves and measures in one easy step.

Aside for knowing that I really am sticking to the correct portion sizes, I have noticed another benefit.  A transformation has begun.  It is as though by showing myself how serious I am about reaching my goal weight, my discipline and will power have gotten stronger.  Every time I pull our my scale I strengthen my resolve and keep the motivation where it needs to be.

This is a new habit that really surprised me with its ability to affect the other areas of my dieting, and one that I hope to keep around for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment